Even the best makeup tricks, priming products, and air-brushing tools can leave skin imperfections noticeable to the naked eye. To take proper steps in obtaining skin clear of imperfections, you might first want to know what causes them.
Production of sebum (your skin's natural oil) increases with age. Other factors (such as genetics, stress, daily irritants, and hormonal changes) will also interfere with a great complexion. Unfortunately, you can't really negate natural components that contribute to blemishes. But you can combat pollution and free radicals! These sneaky little devils enter the skin and allow bacteria to latch on. Then they become unstable and search for a way out... and they find it - in the form of a blemish!
So, now that we have a brief description of what causes your skin to break out, let’s discuss the best ways to prevent future outbreaks so you can be your most confident and beautiful self. Just remember these three words - cleanse, treat, conceal.
- Cleanse your face thoroughly with the right product for your skin type. For all skin, use a gentle, oil-free, fragrance-free, cleanser. For oily skin, look for a non-comedogenic cleanser (we love Cetaphil.)
- Use toner only if skin is super oily, otherwise it will over-dry your skin which is surprisingly also a culprit of blemishes. Follow with oil-free sunscreen gel. Try Elemis Liquid Layer Sunblock SPF 30
- Exfoliate gently. Blemish-prone skin has microscopic protrusions, over scrubbing will cause irritation.
- At night, spot-treat your skin with products that contain benzoil peroxide, glycolic acid or salicylic acid.
- Conceal with non-comedogenic makeup. Dab directly onto blemish and wipe away excess. Too much cover-up will accentuate the blemish, so go lightly. Elizabeth Arden has a great selection.